Country of Origin:
Over 4 hours
Beef marrow bones
1 package flat rice noodles
1 pound pre-sliced beef slices, raw
2 sticks of ginger
6 star anise pods
1 whole onion
1 knob of ginger
Thai basil, cilantro, bean sprouts, and lime (for serving)
1. Parboil beef broth bones to rid of impurities.
2. Combine all spices into a cheese cloth to make a spice bag.
3. Fill a crockpot with the parboiled beef broth bones and spice bag and water.
4. Add a heaping dose of fish sauce.
5. Cook on low for 12 hours.
6. Using a mesh sieve, skim the broth of fat and impurities. Taste the broth and add fish sauce, salt, and pepper to taste, as needed.
7. Prepare the rice noodles according to package directions.
8. To construct a bowl of pho, put the cooked noodles in a bowl, ladle the piping hot soup over the noodles, add the raw beef slices, and top with Thai basil, cilantro, bean sprouts, and squeeze of lime to taste.
What makes this recipe special?
Pho is the best pick-me-up food, and cooking it at home makes your house smell amazing for hours.